New Github group

Todd Rinaldo toddr at cpanel.net
Sun Aug 24 20:49:12 CEST 2014

On Aug 24, 2014, at 9:21 PM, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) <philippe.bruhat at free.fr> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 03:45:15PM +0300, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>>
>> To follow on to the BOF at YAPC::EU
>>

> Is a summary of the BOF going to be published somewhere?
> Or at least sent here?

I did not take notes so I am hoping those who did will. I can give you top of my head and hopefully someone can correct me.

There was a split in the group between those who wanted to hack on the existing code and get new features and those who want to slowly re-factor the modperl apache 1.0 code into a modern framework. Sawyer proposed providing a plack solution that would fake modperl to the old code which would allow us to then have a dancer/DBIC framework setup for the new stuff along side the old stuff. We could then slowly migrate old functioning code off the old system to the new, keeping a working ACT through the whole process.

The two short term goals agreed on, which I codified in the issues list in github were:
1. Setup a DBIC schema set matching the existing ACT database
2. Setup a plack/modperl infrastructure such that with a database and a git checkout, I can run an ACT development instance locally on my box, potentially without the need for apache.

If people have enhancement ideas for down the road, it might be good to get those into the list. I'm cautious that the list will get to big, but hopefully we can manage it with careful use of milestones and tags.

Todd