Help with YAPC NA 2013 site

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Sun Dec 23 00:39:44 CET 2012

raiph mellor wrote:

> Hi,

Hello Raiph,

> I've recently been made team leader for the YAPC NA 2013 website.
>
> I am trying to get us to a launch asap, hopefully before
> Christmas, and am seeking help to get that done.
>
> The site is at http://test.mongueurs.net/yn2013/
>
> Thank you for your Act software and thank you (if this is
> the right place to send thanks) for hosting this test site
> (and soon, hopefully, live site) at mongeurs.net.

Thank you.

> I've been unable so far to find via googling who I might
> contact about sites on mongeurs.net. So I'm hoping that
> either this list is an appropriate contact point or that at
> least someone on this list will know what I should do.

This is the correct list. I will be you main contact for most questions.

> In case this is a good place for questions:
>
> 1. I'd like as full server privs as you are willing to provide.
>    I believe Aaron Phillips has already requested SFTP
>    access for me. (I have provided a public SSH key,
>    and have repeated it at the end of this email.)

Now done.

> And/or:
>
> 2. I'd like as full Administration rights as you are willing to
>    provide within the above instance of the Act software.
>    I imagine Aaron could do this and I am trying to get
>    this resolved through him but I thought I'd ask while
>    I'm here in case I've missed him this side of Christmas.

Create a user on the test site, and tell me the nickname you chose.
I'll then make you admin of the conference.

> 3. A web designer has said that changing the menu is past
>    his skill set.

I'm a bit surprised by this because everything is made with standard TT2 templates.

> I imagine it's going to be easy for me once
>    I can get in to the files and follow the docs, but in case
>    I need help, am I right in thinking #act on irc.perl.org is
>    the best place to turn to? How responsive is this list in
>    the run up to Christmas and at weekends?

#act is the good IRC channel. My nickname there is Maddingue.
As for the responsiveness, well, for myself, I should be able to answer you within the day.

> 4. I couldn't find logs of this mailing list or the IRC channel.
>    http://listes.mongueurs.net/archives/act/ is a 404.
>    Any pointers?

Er, yes. Something that I must do.

> Thanks in advance for any and all help.

You may want to read the organizer documentation, which can be found on the main Act web site. The Layout and Templates sections are probably the first ones you'll want to read.
  » http://act.mongueurs.net/doc/Manual/Organizer.html

Looking at your directories, I see that you put static files in actdocs/, while they should only be in wwwdocs/. Files are separated this way:
 - actdocs/templates/ contains TT2 template parts
 - actdocs/static/ contains the TT2 target pages
 - wwwdocs/ contains the rest (images, CSS, fonts, JavaScript, PDF, texts, etc)

You'll need to clean up all the images, JavaScript, etc, from actdocs/ before we put it into production.

--
Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.