[Act] Act services moving on a new server

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Thu Apr 7 01:45:01 CEST 2016

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:

> > Indeed. I'll try to compile some older Perl as well and see if
> > it's easier with these instead of a too recent one.
>
> This went much better. If you can access this URL:
> » http://act.perlworkshop.eu/phantom/
>
> it will confirm that Act is working on the new server. I quickly
> imported part of the production database, but I'll have to do
> that again when we actually switch from spectre to phantom.

A last thing that wasn't working was the wiki. Now fixed:
  » http://act.perlworkshop.eu/phantom/wiki?node=HomePage

So we can consider migrating to phantom (the new server) really
soon now. This will obviously disrupt the services during the
migration, for a duration that will depend on DNS propagation.

Steps:
- shutdown all services on spectre
- dump all PostgreSQL databases
- rsync everything a last time from spectre to phantom
- reimport all PostgreSQL databases
- startup all services on phantom

Executing these steps should roughly take an hour, given that
data have been rsync'd every 2 hours since weeks. But as said,
DNS propagation will make the disruption longer for people still
trying to reach spectre. This can be mitigated to some degree
by reducing the TTL of the records.

Unless I oversaw something, migrating over the next days should
be an appropriate time.

Opinions?

> To dump a few notes here:
>
> - compile everything with -std=gnu89
>
> - Perl 5.12 is apparently the last Perl we can compile an
>   unmodified modperl 1.x against; 5.14 already presents the
>   conflicts Alex and myself encountered
>
> - latest Apache::AuthCookie depends on Apache::Test 1.39,
>   which isn't correctly indexed, or at least is unknown to
>   cpanminus (I haven't looked into that)

- Wiki::Toolkit 0.75 is the last version compatible with the
  current schema used by Act. It should be possible to upgrade
  the schema to newer version, but this will be tried after
  migrating to the new server.

--
Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.