[Act] Act server: state of the situation

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Fri Dec 30 01:43:22 CET 2016

Hello all,

First, sorry, I know I should have made this mail earlier.

So, here is the current situation with regards to the Act server.
When spectre suddenly disappeared from the internets, we switched
over the remaining service to phantom, which has been prepared for
this since a few months. However, it appears that phantom is way
too light to handle all the services. As a result, Act is regularly
crashing, and I now keep a constant eye on the logs, and restart
it whenever it needs to (3-4 times each day). That's mostly for the
time being.

We have decided to rent a bigger server (12 CPU threads, 32 GB RAM),
with the following plan of actions:

- make it a host for VMs:
  - one VM for Act (Varnish, Apache + mod_perl, PostgreSQL)
  - one VM for the rest (static sites, SVN, Mailman)

- migrate Act ASAP to its dedicated VM
- migrate the rest of the services
- release phantom

Using VM (Qemu/KVM) will hopefully ease backup & moving the servers
to a new host, when needed.

Work has already begun. VMs are already installed. Thanks to a
friend, I've resolved a network issue I was having with NetFilter.
I am now preparing the Act VM to run Act (Apache 1.3, mod_perl 1.31,
Perl 5.8.9 or 5.12.4).

Technical specifications
------------------------
* host server