[Act] Act server: state of the situation

JT Smith jt at plainblack.com
Thu Jan 26 08:41:09 CET 2017

This may not be my place, but there is already a 100% modern Perl built replacement for Act called Tabletop.Events.  Last week it handled registration for 2000 simultaneous users all buying badges and tickets to events.

I can foresee 4 possible complaints

A) it's not act.

Can't help you there.

B) it doesn't have the act logins and historical data.

Give me the logins and I'll import them for you.  As for the rest of the data, there is a full API if you want to import it.

https://Tabletop.Events/developer/

C) it's not open source.

True, but it has seen and will continue to see far more development than act has because it is profitable and has full time staff.

D) it has no wiki

True, but if that is all that is needed for adoption by the perl community then consider it done.

And it may not have a wiki, but it does have a hell of a lot of features act doesn't have.

Suggested with love from the organizer of YAPC::NA 2012.

JT