Act-dev Act-Voyager on GitHub

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Fri Sep 19 22:53:46 CEST 2014

Th. J. van Hoesel wrote:

> During YAPC::EU, Todd Rinaldo was very eager to create an
> organisation on GitHub, wonderful plan!
>
> As I now finally have more time at hand, I’ll entered the 'bridge of
> the Voyager' and made a few changes on GitHub and renamed the
> project fron TNG to Voyager.
>
> Alex Muntada recently created a simple setup for Vagrant and I
> checked this afternoon - and it is indeed extremely simple.
> I will use his idea and try to adopt his setup a bit so:
> — automatic GitHub checkout of the Act-Voyager fork of Book/Act
> — test dabases in PostgreSQL so you have data to play with
> — access the act server on ‘www.voyager.local’
> — vagrant username will be ‘voyager’
>
> The Vagrantfile will be on GitHub as well, together with a shell
> script that would normally compile Apache/Mod-Perl
>

> I think Alex his box is more for developers that want a local version
> based on the current Act, where as the one described above will be
> ‘bleeding’.
>
> As discussed with BooK, any BooK/Act pull request done from the
> Voyager project will be tested on the real Act server and when
> approved go into production and merged with the original branch. The
> Act maintainers will try to keep up with the changes that will
> happen there.

To restate here what I just privately wrote to you, I can also
setup an instance of Act-Voyager on the server, where the code
can run against the production database,  so we can see how it
performs with the actual data. IIRC, this was useful to find a
few bugs in yAct when Getty was hacking on it.

--
Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.