[Act-dev] a few ideas for legacy Act

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Sat Nov 14 00:16:45 CET 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 09:56:17PM +0100, Alex Muntada wrote:
> Alex Muntada:
>
> > While there's people already taking care of future Act, I'm also
> > worried by legacy Act, both old, recent and current instances.
> > I just read in patch -p3 that we inscreased the bus factor to 2
> > people, which is great. I'm offering my help if you need it too.
> >
> > That being addressed, my next worry is having a backup or slave
> > server. I think that this was also discussed in -p3 but I don't
> > know the details. I can offer a VM in my department premises in
> > www.ac.upc.edu for free.
>
> I read on IRC that dcbpw2016 will be hosted on eventbrite and
> that they changed all dcbpw.org DNS records so their old Act
> instances don't work anymore. It seems that Act server was down
> for both days of the workshop, so they decided to get rid of
> Act altogether.

I saw that too.

> Though I understand their decision, this is really sad and now
> I'm wondering if there's any interest in keeping legacy Act
> alive.

What do you mean by "keeping legacy Act alive"? Old conference
exist as long as they're configured in the server/database.

> I'm willing to take care of this, but I need some help (I have
> restricted access to the server and no access to the database).
> If you are interested in working together to keep legacy Act
> alive, please let me know.

For the old dcbpw conferences, the trick would simply be to change
the main URL in the web site, e.g. to use act.yapc.eu or another.

I'm interested in keeping Act alive, Theo is working on improving the
existing code, I was interested in writing my own better version of
Act, but I forgot to check my tuit supply...

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 History is made by the winners and written by those with the loudest voices.