Creation of a conference website

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Wed Jan 8 14:21:53 CET 2014

Nicholas Butler wrote:

> Hi Sebastien,

Hello Nicholas

> Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I was away over the
> holidays.
> Thanks for setting up the test site for us.
> I have just one question, as I haven't used your set up before and we
> are confused as how to access it.
> To edit the site, can we go to http://test.mongueurs.net/czpw2014/
> then click on the login text and in the login request field Martina
> would enter her ssh account number in the login field and her ssh key
> password in the password field?

No. The login & password fields on the site are the same that you'd use on the other Perl conference sites. It's for connecting on your conference account, allowing people to propose talks, build their own schedule, edit the wiki, etc. Note that the test site is connected to a different database than the production server, so if you have an account on, say, http://yapc.eu/2013 , you have to make a new one on the test site. Then tell me the corresponding login name so I can give you the admin right on the conference.

> Or do we have to access your server via putty that we use and access
> our files that way?

SSH (for which PuTTY is a good client) is the primary way to access your files on the server. I agree editing files with vi(m) over ssh is not the most comfortable way for everybody. That's why I suggested to use a more user-friendly client like Filezilla (https://filezilla-project.org/) to copy the files back and from the server on your local workstation, where you can work with your usual software.

--
Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.