[Act] Act services moving on a new server

Alex Muntada alexm at alexm.org
Tue Feb 16 17:41:22 CET 2016

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni:

> I actually already looked Act-out-of-the-box to see how you installed
> Apache 1.3 + mod_perl 1 on Linux. But I guess that apart from the getline()
> thing that required a small patch, you didn't run in a link problem like
> I currently do on FreeBSD. If I can get it to work under FreeBSD, I'll
> switch to Linux as well.

I'm the author of that patch, so I know where it comes from... ;)

If memory serves, I tried to compile the apache+mod_perl bundle
first in Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) and I got lots of compiling errors
like yours. I think I tried with Ubuntu Precise (12.04) and it
failed too.

Then I decided to try the oldest Ubuntu release that had a GCC
version as old as the last release of apache1, thus Ubuntu Lucid
(10.04) came as the base system for my Act-vagrant project, which
was later used as a baseline for Act-out-of-the-box.

The problem with lucid is that is no longer maintained and will
not receive any security updates, so we should find another way.
On the other hand, apache1 itself isn't receiving any security
updates either, so lucid could work for now.

I don't have a FreeBSD box to play with the compiler, I can try
with a modern Ubuntu version though. But I'm pretty sure that
patching apache1 to compile with a modern GCC will be a lot of
work.

Cheers!
Alex