[Act] YAPC::Amsterdam

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Tue Oct 25 22:21:53 CEST 2016

Hello,

Theo van Hoesel wrote:

> YAPC::Amsterdam a.k.a "The Perl Conference in Amsterdam"
>
> please setup the servers so we can start publishing the website for
> YAPC next year.
>
> it has been discussed with people from TPF and from now on, we'd like
> to use a new 'top-level directory name: /tpc
> sub path: /tpc/amsterdam-2017
>
> suggested Act-Conference repo:
> https://github.com/Act-Conferences/tpc-2017-amsterdam

Laurent just created it.

> other conferences will follow that pattern. No longer will "The Perl
> Conference" be divided in regions, they will be named with the city
> where it's being held. Much like OSCON. TPF does prefer global
> branding, As does the majority of the Amsterdam organisers.
>
> If, for example the next YAPC::NA would be held in Detroit... it will
> be: "The Perl Conference in Detroit" ... /tpc/detroit-2017

"The Perl Conference" sure will be easier to market than "YAPC."

However, a piece of information missing in your email is the domain
which should support the conference(s). Also, out of the box, I'd
say we can't insert a "/tpc/" in the middle of URLs like this.
We can probably somehow cheat with some ProxyPass or RewriteRule
trickery, but it's not really elegant.

If the aim is to make things simpler & easier to find, a single
domain like perlconference.org to host all these newly branded
conferences seems the most obvious way to go.

Act being Act, we need a dedicated subdomain. For example:
- act.perlconference.org
- the.perlconference.org
- my.perlconference.org

Then next year's editions would have the following URLs:
  http://the.perlconference.org/tpc-2017-amsterdam/
  http://the.perlconference.org/tpc-2017-detroit/

What do you think?

--