[Act] Urgent: no outgoing email from ACT

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Thu Mar 2 02:29:17 CET 2017

Detlev Hauschildt wrote:

> Dear ACT people,

Hello Detlev,

> There seems to be an issue with ACT sending out the email
> verification for a new user. You get the page "An email was sent
> to... ", but the email never comes.
>
> It was first discovered on
> http://act.perlconference.org/tpc-2017-amsterdam/register (which
> seems to be the only production site with a conference date in the
> future so that this can be tested), but the same is true for the
> following test sites:
>
> http://test.mongueurs.net/tpc-2017-amsterdam/register
> http://test.mongueurs.net/spw2017/register
> http://test.mongueurs.net/gpw2017/register
>
> (Some other test sites just say: "You don't have permission to access
> /qa2017/register on this server." etc., but that seems unrelated).
>
> This seems rather critical, so it would be great if someone could
> look into it!

Indeed, I hadn't realized that Act couldn't send mails. Sorry.

Found two problems:
- postfix was misconfigured; fixing that made it send me a few
  thousands of queued mails

- Act had a workaround something Email::Simple didn't do when
  it was originally written, and I guess does now; quickly
  commenting that part of the code seems to fix the problem

I received confirmation mails from both test & prod sites.
Can you confirm as well?

--
Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.