[Act] Unifiying Act PSGI forks

Thomas Klausner domm at cpan.org
Fri Nov 1 17:53:03 CET 2019

Hi!

(cc'ing Wesley Schwengle and Harald Jörg because I'm not sure if they
are on the Act mailing list)

Today I finally took a look at the various Act branches floating around,
with the goal to merge them into one Act to rule them all.

I failed, like so many people before me.

But I think I made a bit progress, and things are a bit clearer to me
now. So let me share:

I created a new default branch 'master' for act-testing/Act (because I
see no point in having weird branch names instead of master)

I merged BooK/Act into act-testing/Act, which was rather easy. AFAIK
BooK/Act is the version powering act.yapc.eu (but still running on
mod_perl)

Then I took a look at waterkip/Act. Uff..

This repo contains 3 tries to get a PSGI version running:

2011, Graham Knop & Rob Hoelz
2016, Ilya Chesnokov
2019, Wesley Schwengle; Harald Jörg (via cherry-picking I guess)

The diff between waterkip/Act and act-testing/Act is *huge*:

Merging it results in ~25 conflicts.

So not something I want to try right away.

It seems that a lot of the old commits have been already merged (or
cherry-picked?) from waterkip/Act (or other repos) into act-testing/Act
(but with different commit ids, eg:
7056d2bd24c84e646d6eb7271b5883a215d14c5b
vs
70368e270ce1e325cfd86689cf3d778b84c06727

It seems (to me) that commits to waterkip/Act after Sat Apr 6 12:42:58 2019 +0200
have not been merged.
that is, this commit is on both repos:
https://github.com/waterkip/Act/commit/4d01f92aa64e26b33660a56c53bfaffdc834150a,
but later ones aren't.

And when I diff this, I get a slightly less big diff:
git diff --stat waterkip_docker/dockerize-act 4d01f92aa64e26b33660a56c53bfaffdc834150..

It seems that waterkip/Act changed quite a lot (to clean up the forest
of symlinks? to clean up docker-compose?)

So, Wesley, as you have authored those commits, could you try to
integrate them into act-testing/Act? Or are those commits a too big
change?

Are there any other relevant forks flying around somewhere?

I really think we need to deploy the PSGI version ASAP, either to on of
the French Perl Mongers servers, or to a new one (if the French Perl
Mongers don't want to run the PSGI version). Having a stable and modern
version of Act is IMO more important than access to the old database
(and thus old user info).

Greetings,
domm

--