[Act] 500 Internal Server Error on test instances

Alex Muntada alexm at alexm.org
Wed Jul 23 20:24:19 CEST 2014

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni:

> Nope, barcelona2014 is the only one that was modified.
> I restarted the test server and now it works. My guess is that
> when you were modifying your act.ini, you saved it in a form
> that the code didn't like. Then, you may have reloaded a page,
> which incited the code to reload the config, thus putting it
> in a bad state from which it couldn't get back.
> If you remember the changes you did, I'd be interested, in order
> to strengthen the code and avoid something similar in the future.

It took me a while to setup Act on a vagrant box because several
dependencies don't even compile or work in current OS versions.
I have documented the details and will eventually make them
available (or even the full vagrant box itself) once I check
that I didn't miss anything and can build the box from scratch.

Now, I recall that the first thing I changed was the languages
in order to add ca (even though I know it's not there yet). Well,
adding it to languages makes Act complain and show a weird mix
of HTTP and HTML error triggered in Act::Template:

  [Wed Jul 23 19:57:43 2014] [error] Can't use an undefined value
  as a HASH reference at /home/vagrant/act/lib/Act/Template.pm
  line 116.\n

Please, note that my setup is much simpler than yours since
I don't need a reverse proxy, etc. However, it seems clear that
adding any unsupported language code (e.g. foo) makes it fail.
On the other side, removing that unsupported code from act.ini
makes Act work fine again without having to restart httpd.

Hope that helps,

More information about the Act mailing list