[Act] Act services moving on a new server

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Thu Feb 18 01:50:25 CET 2016

Todd Rinaldo wrote:

> I have an alternate solution which I've been pursuing:
>
> Get ACT to work with modperl2 so it can run on the L&G
> Apache/modperl/postgresql. Then you don't have the legacy issue.
> I've made some progress in this direction. My biggest problem is
> when I hit a directive where it's not clear how to convert it or
> when I hit a unit test that doesn't work but because of missing
> config, not because the code is wrong.
>
> My goal is to be able to just install Debian Jesse and the as many
> Debian packages as possible and be able to use ACT with a little bit
> of setup.
>
> https://github.com/toddr/Act/tree/jesse
>
> bootstrap.act is my notes so far. I've not been working on it much
> lately but it's my hope that this work would make it much easier for
> someone to hack on ACT with their own server. It is my belief this
> is the major reason people have looked to replace not revise ACT so
> much in recent years.

I agree that it's a better solution, but as a sysadmin, my first
reflex is to first try to replicate the environment I know to be
working, rather than trying to port to a new one. Actually, one
of my errors here has been to use a too recent Perl, and as
suggested by Alex, I'll try to install older versions.

However, I'll try your solution as well. Thanks for sharing.

--
Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.