[Act] repo out of sync for tpc-2017-amsterdam (rather urgent...)

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni sebastien at aperghis.net
Mon Jun 5 22:30:33 CEST 2017

Detlev Hauschildt wrote:

> Dear ACT team,
>
> We've run into a bit of an issue yesterday when working on the
> website for the upcoming YAPC-EU (aka tpc-2017-amsterdam). One
> team member audaciously reset the head of the master branch of
> our github repo (https://github.com/Act-Conferences/tpc-2017-amsterdam)
> to an earlier node to clean up some experiments, but we
> noticed that this doesn't get reflected in the live environment
> that the website is served from (fortunately only the test site
> is affected).
>
> From what I can see it appears that the files are served from
> another git repo that doesn't actually follow the state of our
> github repo, but rather merges our branches into its branches.
> The live repo still has all the commits that are gone from our
> repo after the reset. And when we make other commits now we
> sometimes end up with files on the live server that have git
> merge conflict markers in them - which doesn't make for pretty
> HTML! These markers are not present in our repo so it's hard
> to do something about them.
>
> So, it would be of great help if you could clone our current master
> branch to the live repo.
>
> And maybe structurally it would be better to have a setup where
> the live server follows the github repo exactly, as this might
> trip up other people too. I suppose the current setup only works
> if you restrict yourself to adding commits, but not when moving
> the head of the branch.

Actually, the repositories on the Act server are directly updated
from GitHub, with no intermediate repository, using git pull:
  » https://github.com/book/Act/blob/master/bin/gitupdate

Maybe git pull isn't the correct way to update a repository?
To be honest, git has always been a maze of traps for me.

I don't have access to the server right now, but Laurent is working
on the repository, so the site should soon be fixed.

--
Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.